[Fan Game] Mega Man in Sonic the Hedgehog
Diamond Wolf Offline
Not ashamed to play Easy Mode
Registered

Threads: 4
Mega Man in Sonic the Hedgehog
The concept is simple: Through some Phantom Ruby BS Mega Man winds up on South Island. From there the Blue Bomber must complete the Blue Blur's original adventure on the Genesis.

Graphically it would use a Wily Wars graphics style for whatever's not already in Wily Wars/Sonic the Hedgehog.

At this stage I mainly need programmers to create a physics engine that matches Sonic physics with Megaman's play style. (I was going to use Renhoek's engine that was used in his MaGMML2 submission with Nitro Man, but apparently he doesn't want to give it out.) I was hoping to get this working within Mega Engine, but I can work with something else if need be.

Sonic environments are notably unfriendly for a slow poke who can't move through pipes, so Megaman gets a brand new Rush adapter - the Rush Ball! Simply charge up and release for a large burst of speed - and you can fit in small pipes!

Aside from the physics engine, I can do the vast majority of the coding. There are only a half dozen or so custom sprites that need done. All remaining sprites can be ripped from Wily Wars and Sonic 1.
(This post was last modified: 27-05-2018, 11:38 PM by Diamond Wolf.)
25-05-2018, 01:05 AM
Find Reply
ThatOneEnderMan Offline
Sewer Boy
Registered

Threads: 0
RE: Mega Man in Sonic the Hedgehog
Cool concept.

Now, you have no graphics, no ideas besides a basic, incredibly bare-bones plot, and no proof that you have skills of your own. So my question is, after that, why should anyone want to help when there is no proof or reason in general that this could get off the ground more than basic concept, yet you want to not only make an entirely new physics engine, but further more, have a 16-bit Wily Wars esque game. The market for new fangames is massive and if you have no skills of your own no one will want to work on your game over something like Shattered Diamond, Dissolution, whatever else is being worked on, MaGMML3, etc.

What I'm trying to say is, why do people still try to give big ideas for fangames without any proof or reason that it will go anywhere other than concepts? If the creator of these ideas can't do it him/herself, then why would they want to work with them to make a full game?
25-05-2018, 01:44 AM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Offline
Regular Joe
Registered

Threads: 9
If I were you, and I was a few years ago, I'd look up some game making software or programming languages and start learning, if you want to make it a hobby/possible job. It's hard at first, but if you keep working at it, you'll make some cool stuff. If you do have trouble, looking up tutorials and manuals can help you a lot.

Here's a list of Game Making Software/Programming Languages. I do hope you take these as consideration.

List of Game Making Software

GameMaker: Studio (1.4 or 2)
ClickTeam Fusion 2.5
Stencyl
Construct 2
Unity 2D or 3D
Unreal Engine 4
LOVE2D (Uses a modified version of Lua)

(Small) List of Programming Languages:

Java
Python
Lua
JavaScript
C++
C#
PHP
Perl
Ruby

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2018, 09:49 AM by Thojoewhit.)
25-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Find Reply
Lionheart261 Offline
Still Here
Registered

Threads: 2
Good rule of thumb for game ideas: if you can't handle a key aspect of its design entirely on your own(programming, spriting, music), scale down or don't bother. You have not demonstrated your own ability to handle any of these aspects in any capacity, and I myself am skeptical of your willingness to acquire that ability in any of those aspects, considering that you asked for help before stating what you yourself could handle.

Here's my advice: state what you can handle on your own, and scale down this concept in accordance with that stated ability. In effect, plan out a game that you yourself could build entirely on your own with no assistance. If this is impossible, do what you can to become more proficient in the key aspects outlined above. If you are unwilling to do so, drop it.
26-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Find Reply
Renhoek Offline
Made an account to use once or twice.
Registered

Threads: 2
I don't see why this would need Sonic Physics considering afaik megaman can't run fast enough to go through a loop, wouldn't it be better to build megaman levels in sonic's environment?
27-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Website Find Reply
Diamond Wolf Offline
Registered

I was in a bit of a rush when I typed up the original post. Just updated it.
27-05-2018, 11:38 PM
Find Reply
kuja killer Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 0
I hope this isn't going off-topic or anything, but i just wanna show if i may.
There was once a megaman 3 romhack years ago called "Megaman The Hedgehog Trap" which puts mm in sonic-themed levels like that. Have you seen it before ??

this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ9mBo0LbJw
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2018, 10:55 AM by kuja killer.)
28-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Find Reply
Diamond Wolf Offline
Registered

I have. Not quite what I was thinking.
29-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Find Reply