Rhythm is currently piecing together the list for this year's Wedge Award given annually. If you joined the community after November 25, 2016 and have either only come into DeadChat, posted in the Smeghead forum, or visited the Inc Discord, please send Rhythm a private message to let him know you are an active member of Inc and we can include you in our Wedge Award Eligible Nominees List. Check your profile for your join date before sending the PM. Thank You!

[Fan Game] Project Rock and Roll(working title)[Help appreciated]
Lionheart261 Offline
Regular
Registered

Project Rock and Roll(working title)[Help appreciated]
I've been debating whether or not to post about this here for a while now. I was worried that I had to complete enough of the game to be taken seriously, and that the amount of completion that I'm at currently isn't good enough. But then I figured that if I told myself that it's not good enough now, then there's a good chance that I'll work more on it, decide it isn't good enough to present then, work on it more, still decide it isn't good enough, and...well. You get the idea.

So, with that said, I present to you all: Project Rock and Roll!
(Yeah, see, because of the characters Rock and Roll. I know, it's so original Wink)

Concept

Project Rock and Roll is going to be a standard Classic Mega Man game, with 8 bosses whom you can fight in any order and who provide Mega Man with weapons upon defeating them which can be used against other bosses in a Rock-Paper-Scissors like fashion. However, there is one unique feature about this concept: the player will be able to select which 8 bosses they can choose to fight at the beginning, from a selection of 16 classic bosses from Mega Man 1-3. Their stages will be exactly as they were in their respective games, with all level gimmicks, enemies, boss patterns, and weapons exactly as they were. However, depending on what the player selects at the start, the weakness tree will adjust itself to accommodate different bosses.

The 16 bosses shall be as follows:
Mega Man 1
  • Guts Man
  • Cut Man
  • Elec Man
  • Fire Man

Mega Man 2
  • Heat Man
  • Bubble Man
  • Metal Man
  • Quick Man
  • Air Man
  • Wood Man
  • Flash Man
  • Crash Man

Mega Man 3
  • Snake Man
  • Spark Man
  • Shadow Man
  • Magnet Man

Story

Truthfully, I haven't thought much about including story elements, but I have come up with an explanation for why the situation here is unfolding. My explanation is that Dr. Wily, more aware than ever of his own mortality, has dedicated himself to transferring his consciousness into an electronic medium, making himself virtually immortal. In pursuit of this goal, Wily unknowingly creates Alpha Wily, a sentient AI based on his own brain patterns and possessing all of his memories. With its main directive being "Destroy Mega Man," Alpha Wily transmits itself wirelessly out into the world, eventually finding an automated robotics factory which it swiftly hacks into and takes control of. With limited resources and only the designs of earlier robot masters in its memory banks, Alpha Wily creates near exact copies of as many as 16 reformed or destroyed robot masters and sends them out into the world to cause havoc. Thus, Mega Man must confront his own past and put a stop to the tyrannical AI and its creations.

It's bare bones, but again, I wasn't going to put much emphasis on story in this game as much as gameplay.

Gameplay

The gameplay is fairly straightforward; after selecting 8 bosses through an interface based around the name cards seen at the end of Mega Man 3, the game would proceed as any game in the classic series would; 8 bosses which can be fought in any order and have weapons which work well against each other.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QLZwQ48t9fk/maxresdefault.jpg
(Think something like this)

Mega Man himself would have all of the same abilities he did up to Mega Man 3; he can jump, shoot basic buster shots, and slide. The level design itself would be unchanged from the games they were from initially, minus the fact that they would be running on an updated physics engine and that the older levels would benefit from the new slide ability(especially stages like Quick Man's and Fire Man's). All of the same enemies from those levels would be present, with some exceptions(enemies that have gotten some updates to their basic abilities, like Mets and Sniper Joes, will be represented with more current versions), and each boss' pattern would be similar or identical to how they were in their original games, with some alterations(for example: Guts Man will jump higher, thereby allowing the player to slide under him, and Quick Man's boss room will be flat, making it easier to avoid his attacks by sliding). Likewise, each weapon shall behave identically to how they did in the original games, again with exceptions(for example, the Metal Blade's ammo usage per shot will be increased from 0.25 bars to 1 bar to make it more balanced). At present, I do not plan to include any kind of Wily Fortress segment; just the 16 levels, bosses, boss weapons, and any level gimmicks and enemies needed to make those levels as close to the originals as possible.

Important Information
  1. I am developing this project in WreckingPrograms' Mega Engine Version 1.6 in the free version of Game Maker Studio 1.4.
  2. I am the sole member of the development team for this game, and have been doing all programming, level design, custom sprite work, etc. myself, with some advice and code for certain weapons and level objects provided by other users, namely WreckingPrograms and KishSquared.
  3. This is my first Mega Man fan game and my first serious game design project. In the past, I have made very small, barebones titles which are incomplete and fairly buggy. I understand that this information will make many of you very skeptical of what I am about to say next.
  4. PLEASE TAKE NOTE :I am entirely capable of completing this project on my own; with occasional advice from other users and enough trial and error, I am confident that I can successfully program this project, and using the resources provided by this forum and other sources, I am equally confident that I can find every asset I need for it. Granted, I estimate based on the precise tasks that I will need to complete and the goal I have set, as well as the fact that I am still in school and have a job, that this project could take me over a year to complete at my current pace, probably longer. I am requesting assistance here simply to cut down on that development period. Again, this project WILL be completed regardless of whether anybody here provides me with assistance. It will simply take much longer.

Current Progress and Necessary Assets

Currently, I have completed the following:
  • Snake Man's stage is complete, minus the enemies, the level gimmicks, and the boss himself(I have created an object for him, but no AI as of now). The stage is accessible from the select screen.
  • I have created an object meant to handle the selection of the bosses prior to the level select screen, but it is incomplete at present.
  • I have created a script which can be adapted to draw the names of the 8 selected robot masters and their icons on the level select screen.
  • I have procured and implemented all of the tile sets I'll need minus those of Spark Man and Magnet Man. In addition, the Heat Man tileset I downloaded from this site will require modification in order to work properly, which I can easily do.
  • I have imported backgrounds based on screen caps of every stage I'll be making downloaded from MMNetwork. Guts Man and Cut Man's stages have been partially tiled, and all of the stage rooms have been created with these backgrounds.
  • I have imported a functioning Sniper Joe enemy off of an earlier test project with the Mega Engine.
  • I have created one functioning weapon in addition to the Metal Blade which is already present in the Engine; the Time Stopper. The Quick Boomerang is implemented as well, but is not fully complete.
  • (11/16/17)Cut Man's stage is complete minus the enemies and the boss.
  • (11/17/17)Fire Man's stage is complete minus the enemies, fire gimmick, and the boss.
  • (11/19/17)I have created a spawner object to handle the creation of enemies like Tellies in some stages, although there are still some bugs to work out. Heat Man and Air Man's stages are complete minus the enemies, level gimmicks, and bosses.
  • (11/20/17)Cut Man's stage has almost all of the enemies needed.

It seems as if this forum's text editor will not allow me to include the project file for the current build of the game as an attachment. I will look into a method for rectifying that.

Therefore, what remains for me to complete, aside from successfully completing the custom boss select code and modifying the assets I have already, is listed here, and will be updated as I complete them myself:
As mentioned previously, with enough time, I can program/find and implement everything listed here on my own. However, if any of you would be willing to provide code programmed in Mega Engine for any of the objects required, or any of the required level themes in a compatible format, that would be greatly appreciated.

In conclusion, I would appreciate any feedback you wish to offer me, positive or negative. If you wish to provide assistance in any form, you may PM me with any assets you would be willing to provide, and I shall add your name to the notes doc I have so that I may give you credit in the game for providing the resource(s) in question.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I know it went on for a while, but I felt that I should be as detailed as possible, so I apologize if this annoyed any of you. I hope you all have a fantastic day, and take care.
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 06:16 PM by Lionheart261.)
13-11-2017 01:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerKiller003 Offline
The Original "Beast Man"
Registered

RE: Project Rock and Roll(working title)[Help appreciated]
Interesting. About time a new project has happened.

Quote:So, with that said, I present to you all: Project Rock and Roll!
(Yeah, see, because of the characters Rock and Roll. I know, it's so original Wink)

Really creative title there Smile.

So yeah, about the concept, it's pretty neat. A self-adjusting weakness system (It's original, do not stealBig Grin.). Story is pretty decent, to say the least. I'm not good at storymaking, so no problem with that. What I do want is make the levels slightly altered, so players could have a new experience. But even though, that's Ok, because programming is hard and a level is done. Nonetheless, I hope you feel motivated to do that someday.

That's a lot. Too many for my opinion. If the games functions as a builder or an engine, like Mega MAN Maker and Mega Engine, respectively, that's Ok. But for a game, about 20's Ok. But it's fine, considering this game would take eternity to create if it uses custom assets or tilesets.

So anyways, good luck man. I hope this game will finally be complete.
13-11-2017 11:31 AM
Lionheart261 Offline
Regular
Registered

(13-11-2017 11:31 AM)TigerKiller003 Wrote:  Interesting. About time a new project has happened.

Quote:So, with that said, I present to you all: Project Rock and Roll!

Really creative title there Smile.

So yeah, about the concept, it's pretty neat. A self-adjusting weakness system (It's original, do not stealBig Grin.). Story is pretty decent, to say the least. I'm not good at storymaking, so no problem with that. What I do want is make the levels slightly altered, so players could have a new experience. But even though, that's Ok, because programming is hard and a level is done. Nonetheless, I hope you feel motivated to do that someday.

That's a lot. Too many for my opinion. If the games functions as a builder or an engine, like Mega MAN Maker and Mega Engine, respectively, that's Ok. But for a game, about 20's Ok. But it's fine, considering this game would take eternity to create if it uses custom assets or tilesets.

So anyways, good luck man. I hope this game will finally be complete.

I mean, they would all be enemies from the original games using their original sprites and programmed to behave as they did in the original games, so they would definitely take less time to create than new custom enemies with original sprites, but yeah, I can understand why you might think the scale is pretty big, especially for a guy's first project. Believe it or not, this is actually a heavily scaled back version of the original concept for this game, which would have had every Robot Master in the classic series able to be fought. Yeah, I honestly don't know what I was thinking. Wink This will hopefully be easier. And yeah, I was thinking about altering the Mega Man 1 and 2 levels with new areas which would require the slide to get through, but I figured that the original designs would work well enough for my purposes(although as I said, I am going to see about altering some of the boss fights to incorporate the slide).

But I appreciate your interest nonetheless.
(This post was last modified: 13-11-2017 02:43 PM by Lionheart261.)
13-11-2017 02:39 PM
M-Jacq Offline
I make Let's Players cry.
Registered

Man, you really ought to wait for the MAGMML2 engine to become public domain if you're using so many assets from 1-3.

[Image: 1WyygO9.png]

"I feel like there could've been much more done here, such as racial segregation" --Enjl, 2017
13-11-2017 05:23 PM
Lionheart261 Offline
Regular
Registered

Perhaps, although I imagine that will take a great deal of time. Plus, I've already grown accustomed to how the Mega Engine handles.
13-11-2017 06:16 PM
barberbarberjoe Offline
Postman
Registered

Well, to make the process of Wily stage-making slightly easier, how about including the Genesis Unit as castle bosses? The assets for Infamous Intent should still have full sprite sheets for them. I mean, seeing as this game is essentially Wily Wars-lite.

That aside, the title is slightly misleading, as the plot does in no way imply that Roll is playable. Tongue
13-11-2017 06:21 PM
Lionheart261 Offline
Regular
Registered

That is one possibility. What I was thinking if I do make fortress stages is to include a boss rush of the 8 the player doesn't pick, spaced out maybe 2 per stage, and then face Alpha Wily itself as the final boss.

And yeah, the comparison is accurate, since I came up with the concept while watching a review of Wily Wars. Wink

Also, even more ironically, I actually thought about making a fan game version of Mega Man 1 where Roll is made first and later upgraded instead of Rock. Maybe that could be a bonus mode if I decide to add on to this...

But in all seriousness, that's just a placeholder title because I honestly can't come up with anything else that sounds decent.
(This post was last modified: 14-11-2017 02:30 AM by Lionheart261.)
13-11-2017 08:51 PM
barberbarberjoe Offline
Postman
Registered

(13-11-2017 08:51 PM)Lionheart261 Wrote:  Also, even more ironically, I actually thought about making a fan game version of Mega Man 1 where Roll is made first and later upgraded instead of Rock. Maybe that could be a bonus mode if I decide to add on to this...

But in all seriousness, that's just a placeholder title because I honestly can't come up with anything else that sounds decent.

That'd be cool, hopefully she will/would get her heart-themed armor from the OVAs, and you could include Oil Man (Archie version) and Time Man as extra bosses/levels. MM - 1up

Still though, that is entirely fair. If worse comes to worst, the Sprites Inc. crew here can always help ya come up with a nice title.
16-11-2017 09:05 PM
Lionheart261 Offline
Regular
Registered

(16-11-2017 09:05 PM)barberbarberjoe Wrote:  That'd be cool, hopefully she will/would get her heart-themed armor from the OVAs, and you could include Oil Man (Archie version) and Time Man as extra bosses/levels. MM - 1up

Still though, that is entirely fair. If worse comes to worst, the Sprites Inc. crew here can always help ya come up with a nice title.

I actually made a sprite sheet for her. It's not much; literally just palette swapped the Mega Man sprite sheet from this site(shades of blue to shades of red) and then pasted Roll's faces onto them to match. I don't yet know how to post image files here properly yet, so...

And actually, I was thinking that I'd add two original Robot Masters as the extra bosses if I did make this; Crop Man(a robot designed to assist in farming)and Reel Man(a robot designed to protect fish reserves from poachers). Not that I dislike Time Man and Oil Man, but I feel like the ones I've come up with are better suited to the whole "assist humans with difficult tasks" theme the original 6 Robot Masters had going on.

Also, while I'm here, I just came up with an idea for a special mode and I was wondering what you all think of it: "Bomb Rush." Basically, in preparation of coding the Killer Bullets, I was going to modify the parent object for all enemies to have a variable which determines whether or not they create a damaging explosion upon death. This led me to the following idea: a special challenge stage or mode in which that variable is set to true for the entire parent object. Thus, every enemy would explode upon death or contact, vastly increasing the challenge factor. The stage would culminate in a fight with Bomb Man.

So, what do you all think?
(This post was last modified: 17-11-2017 10:28 PM by Lionheart261.)
16-11-2017 10:49 PM