Blyka's Mega Man Engine: A Few Facts
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

Information Blyka's Mega Man Engine: A Few Facts
So, it's come to my attention that my old Mega Man Engine and I are a bit of a laughingstock among certain circles of the Mega Man community...
And that's totally fine. It's of little consequence to me if someone happens to glean joy from bashing or making fun.

But well, there's been enough--for long enough--that borders on the venomous and/or stems from total misunderstandings, that I thought it might not go amiss to mention a few facts about my engine for public record:
  • It was an educational learn-as-you-go-just-make-it-work project primarily developed back in 2009, and I didn't think/know much about engine design back then. That I've been deemed an incompetent programmer today based on something so old is actually pretty amusing, I suppose.
  • It was never my intention to release it publicly, and I only did so due to very popular demand. Honestly, my engine received far more interest than the games I was making with it. :P
  • Despite its poor internal design and inflexibility, it's very accurate with the original games and has rock-solid stability if you know what you're doing with it (as my own games testify).
  • I'm fully aware of its usability faults, and have been officially recommending those interested in obtaining a ready Mega Man engine look elsewhere--like the more modern Mega Engine.
  • And last but not least:
    Unity and Game Maker aren't terrible programs just because people use them to make buggy games. Likewise, my original engine is not to blame when people break existing features or add buggy new content in games they make with it.

Thank you, and happy developing. :)

[Image: link-blykasdoor.png] [Image: link5.png]
03-10-2017 05:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Foxiliuth Offline
Registered

RE: Blyka's Mega Man Engine: A Few Facts
Actually, I do agree with you, and let me tell you that I'm making a fangame with your engine. It was hard at first, but little by little I've been able to make a lot of things like new powers for protoman, yoku blocks, etc. I still have a lot to learn, but it has helped me a lot because the engine made learn a lot of gml that I didn't know, so let me thank you and I hope you keep doing games as good as Super Danny saga.
06-10-2017 03:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

(06-10-2017 03:03 AM)Foxiliuth Wrote:  Actually, I do agree with you, and let me tell you that I'm making a fangame with your engine. It was hard at first, but little by little I've been able to make a lot of things like new powers for protoman, yoku blocks, etc. I still have a lot to learn, but it has helped me a lot because the engine made learn a lot of gml that I didn't know, so let me thank you and I hope you keep doing games as good as Super Danny saga.

Always nice to hear when someone has found my engine helpful, so thank you for saying so and you're welcome. It isn't the easiest place to learn GML (and certainly not best practices), so keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll go far.

07-10-2017 11:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Renhoek Offline
Made an account to use once or twice.
Registered

I kinda wince whenever I see people call your engine bad, like it's aged but at the time of the release yours was the only good Mega man engine you could get for game maker, and honestly I'm glad you did release this because if it weren't for these types of engines and me fiddling around with them I wouldn't be where I am. I even played around with that canceled skull man engine thing.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 08:33 AM by Renhoek.)
08-10-2017 08:32 AM
TheFallenAlchemist Offline
Dr. Wily's Bastard Child
Registered

This is news to me, I've always been fond of the engine. This is the same one that Endless was made in, correct? Though I was never completely fond of the game (but still play it whenever I need a quick beating), I thought the engine was flawless. It ran great too, nearly emulating the original hardware. I couldn't tell the difference. Again, I've no idea how your engine became the "laughing stock" of the community. This is definitely news to me.

Yeah, I review stuff: http://thegrimtower.com
10-10-2017 07:41 AM
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

(08-10-2017 08:32 AM)Renhoek Wrote:  I kinda wince whenever I see people call your engine bad, like it's aged but at the time of the release yours was the only good Mega man engine you could get for game maker, and honestly I'm glad you did release this because if it weren't for these types of engines and me fiddling around with them I wouldn't be where I am. I even played around with that canceled skull man engine thing.

Thank you, and glad to hear the engine was of use along the road.
Haha, Skull Man. That wasn't canceled, it was just a bit more relevant back in 2006 when there was much less Game Maker content out there--especially for Mega Man. As for its quality level, well... it was based on something made with less than a year of GM experience behind me, so what can I say. XD

(10-10-2017 07:41 AM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  This is news to me, I've always been fond of the engine. This is the same one that Endless was made in, correct? Though I was never completely fond of the game (but still play it whenever I need a quick beating), I thought the engine was flawless. It ran great too, nearly emulating the original hardware. I couldn't tell the difference. Again, I've no idea how your engine became the "laughing stock" of the community. This is definitely news to me.

Heh, when you put it that way I suppose my engine becoming a laughingstock is strange... but true.
Endless did get a couple of accuracy improvements, but yeah, it's more or less the same engine.
And thank you; engine accuracy became of immense importance in my "modern" projects, so it's always nice to hear it paid off for someone besides me. :)

12-10-2017 12:55 AM
barberbarberjoe Offline
Still Here
Registered

Given how WreckingPrograms' Mega Engine can crash if you do so much as looking at it funny (and that's a Game Maker engine as well), it's odd that your engine gets mocked more often. Appeal to novelty?

In any case, your engine has served as a template for modern creators to follow, so I certainly respect it.
12-10-2017 11:00 AM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
As someone whose engine probably caused this laughingstock thing (which was not intentional and I do not support it in the slightest), I will definitely admit that your engine was great for its time, especially in regards to accuracy. The code itself just hasn't aged well (most likely because as you said, this was never intended to be a public engine) and comparing it to modern, more flexible alternatives really shows that. My reasoning for creating the Mega Engine wasn't that your engine was bad, I just felt like the Mega Man community needed a modern engine after years of your engine being the only viable candidate. Sorry if anyone took that the wrong way.

Also, barber, if there are crashes I'm unaware of, please report them in the Mega Engine thread, I'm not against updating it for major fixes.
13-10-2017 05:38 PM
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

(12-10-2017 11:00 AM)barberbarberjoe Wrote:  Given how WreckingPrograms' Mega Engine can crash if you do so much as looking at it funny (and that's a Game Maker engine as well), it's odd that your engine gets mocked more often. Appeal to novelty?

In any case, your engine has served as a template for modern creators to follow, so I certainly respect it.

Hm, I've never used/looked at the Mega Engine myself, but I'd only ever heard high praise for it. At the very least I've no doubt the internal design is much easier to use than mine (given what a mess mine is), and the simple fact it runs natively in GM Studio (and 8.1 even) is reason enough for it to be considered superior to any interested developer.

Regardless, respect appreciated. :)

(13-10-2017 05:38 PM)WreckingPrograms Wrote:  As someone whose engine probably caused this laughingstock thing (which was not intentional and I do not support it in the slightest), I will definitely admit that your engine was great for its time, especially in regards to accuracy. The code itself just hasn't aged well (most likely because as you said, this was never intended to be a public engine) and comparing it to modern, more flexible alternatives really shows that. My reasoning for creating the Mega Engine wasn't that your engine was bad, I just felt like the Mega Man community needed a modern engine after years of your engine being the only viable candidate. Sorry if anyone took that the wrong way.

Well, anyone who develops with my engine can determine it's complicated to work with, and anyone with decent GM knowledge can see there is a lot I could have done much better internally. Having your engine around for direct comparison may have fanned some flames I guess, but I certainly wouldn't think it the cause. Indeed, I'm glad someone stepped up with another quality (and modernly accessible) engine that was designed with public use in mind. :)

I never really put my engine out in the community in a way that might have communicated the facts covered in this topic, so I think the laughingstock business just came about on its own from a growing collection of misconceptions.

15-10-2017 04:23 PM