[Fan Game] Bugfixed and Redone ! Mega Man : Annihilation
T.N. Offline
Lonely Russian Megaman Fan
Registered

RE: !REDONE! Mega Man : Annihilation
It's time to post some progress.
Here's gameplay demo of Clean Woman demo , that shows fixing of issues noticed by Karakato.

And please notice the important thing: All the slowdown in both videos is caused by the recording software , without it the game runs perfectly

(Posting it in separate message to bypass the silly videos in one message limit)
And here's the demonstration of the boss AI:

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 11:10 AM by T.N..)
02-09-2017 11:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Karakato Offline
Karrot Lover
Registered

Wedge AwardZero AwardRevo Remix ContributorUDON Award
RE: Bugfixed and Redone ! Mega Man : Annihilation
I'm happy you addressed the problems about the engine I stated earlier but I have to bring up some other tidbits on the Clean Woman video you showed.

- I do hope the level you showed us is not indicative of the final level and just shown for showing off the engine. It's bare bones in terms of level design. It's basically corridors full of enemies with not much stage gimmicks. Look at Mega Man 42, that game is a prime example of boring level design that leaves itself to rooms full of dead air. I'd say when creating a level, add at least one unique stage element and enemy.
- Why are your boss gates double the width they usually are in official games? It doesn't look good imo and lengthens the transition time a bit.
- When mega man climbs a ladder, you're missing a frame of Mega man's transition frame when he climbs up to the top of ladders. This makes it jarring when he suddenly cuts to his standing sprite: [Image: Dk3urOq.png]
- On the topic of ladders, there's this bug where Mega Man simply stands in the middle of a ladder: https://i.imgur.com/i7ytGZe.png
- I have an issue with you using the Nes sound effects here when the music and graphics are clearly from the genesis game. I would suggest using the sfx from Wily wars, or at the very least, from MM7.
- Change some of the backgrounds, particularly when you climb up the open city landscape areas. It's weird to scroll up from the skyline up to another cityscape. I suggest you use an open sky background so the illusion wont break.

So on the topic of the boss, it's not a good battle honestly. Spamming several shots at random directions isn't a good design and cheapens the difficulty. This is especially troublesome since mega man cannot slide in this engine. You could make his shots go at a set directions and have variations each time he fires them. You could also make him telegraph his attacks a bit to give the player more time to react because as soon as he finishes firing the danmaku shots, he immediately fires normal shots towards you, thereby further giving you less time to react. I also think you should look into where he runs because at certain points he just runs against a wall. This doesn't show a sign of a good boss AI. I'd say at this point you need to work on making him less spastic.

As for the sprites... they are still clear edits of past sprites. I will say this, I appreciate an ugly sprite that's unique over a readable sprite that is an edit of a previous robot master. Anyways, keep on working on the engine and study the levels of other mega man stages.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
02-09-2017 12:45 PM
T.N. Offline
Registered

(02-09-2017 12:45 PM)Karakato Wrote:  I'm happy you addressed the problems about the engine I stated earlier but I have to bring up some other tidbits on the Clean Woman video you showed.

- I do hope the level you showed us is not indicative of the final level and just shown for showing off the engine. It's bare bones in terms of level design. It's basically corridors full of enemies with not much stage gimmicks. Look at Mega Man 42, that game is a prime example of boring level design that leaves itself to rooms full of dead air. I'd say when creating a level, add at least one unique stage element and enemy.
Yeah ,it's a leftover from the early version that i used to show new scrolling and some other features. Soon, this stage will be completely rebuild from scartch.

(02-09-2017 12:45 PM)Karakato Wrote:  - Why are your boss gates double the width they usually are in official games? It doesn't look good imo and lengthens the transition time a bit.

- When mega man climbs a ladder, you're missing a frame of Mega man's transition frame when he climbs up to the top of ladders. This makes it jarring when he suddenly cuts to his standing sprite: [Image: Dk3urOq.png]
- On the topic of ladders, there's this bug where Mega Man simply stands in the middle of a ladder: https://i.imgur.com/i7ytGZe.png
- Change some of the backgrounds, particularly when you climb up the open city landscape areas. It's weird to scroll up from the skyline up to another cityscape. I suggest you use an open sky background so the illusion wont break.
I'll fix it soon. Thanks for spotting it.
(02-09-2017 12:45 PM)Karakato Wrote:  - I have an issue with you using the Nes sound effects here when the music and graphics are clearly from the genesis game. I would suggest using the sfx from Wily wars, or at the very least, from MM7.
I've thought about it , but Wily Wars sfx is extremely hard to find. Now , the NES sfx is serving as placeholders , and they are planned to replace with more "Sega"-ish SFX.

(02-09-2017 12:45 PM)Karakato Wrote:  So on the topic of the boss, it's not a good battle honestly. Spamming several shots at random directions isn't a good design and cheapens the difficulty. This is especially troublesome since mega man cannot slide in this engine. You could make his shots go at a set directions and have variations each time he fires them. You could also make him telegraph his attacks a bit to give the player more time to react because as soon as he finishes firing the danmaku shots, he immediately fires normal shots towards you, thereby further giving you less time to react. I also think you should look into where he runs because at certain points he just runs against a wall. This doesn't show a sign of a good boss AI. I'd say at this point you need to work on making him less spastic.
About the boss:
That "danmaku" shoot or Thunder Spark , is specially designed to be a hard-to-dodge attack , but it takes a very few hp. But your words still makes sense , and i'm gonna to reduce the shooting frequency and amount of projectiles to be shot.

Also , as i see , phase 2 needs some serious changes. Instead of shooting Plasma Spheres in random direction , the boss will shoot them diagonally down , like Needle Man shoots his Needle Cannon projectiles.

And about the "wall-running". That was a very strange thing. Oftenly , boss doesn't acts like that. Maybe it's a matter of leveldesign , because when i placed the boss in another room , it doesn't stucked in the wall any more.

Anyway , thanks for the feedback.

(02-09-2017 12:45 PM)Karakato Wrote:  As for the sprites... they are still clear edits of past sprites. I will say this, I appreciate an ugly sprite that's unique over a readable sprite that is an edit of a previous robot master.
Even Hunt Man?

(02-09-2017 12:45 PM)Karakato Wrote:  Anyways, keep on working on the engine and study the levels of other mega man stages.

Thanks . Only with users' feedback i can make my game better.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 01:45 PM by T.N..)
02-09-2017 01:36 PM
Karakato Offline
Karrot Lover
Registered

Wedge AwardZero AwardRevo Remix ContributorUDON Award
(02-09-2017 01:36 PM)T.N. Wrote:  Even Hunt Man?

I think Hunt Man is the best looking sprite because of that reason. Still he needs work proportion wise.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
02-09-2017 01:46 PM
T.N. Offline
Registered

(02-09-2017 01:46 PM)Karakato Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 01:36 PM)T.N. Wrote:  Even Hunt Man?

I think Hunt Man is the best looking sprite because of that reason. Still he needs work proportion wise.

Really? I'll tell that to Maxim and he will draw more robot masters.
02-09-2017 02:06 PM
T.N. Offline
Registered

Ok , after taking a break , i finally back to work.
So , let's begin with sprites.
The old enemies SRN -01 Terra and SVN-01 Quint are back , but with new , 16-bit look:
[Image: kLAvHGA.png][Image: TlheDWO.png]
But there's not only robot masters , but also a "Joe" series of robots with different variations:
[Image: GcT9y46.png][Image: KVBGdx6.png][Image: zATf1gH.png][Image: SI3H0Le.png][Image: RrX9FvQ.png][Image: szbfWxA.png][Image: KeVmsAx.png]

Also , Blast Man's stage is almost finished , and tomorrow i will show some gameplay.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 10:07 PM by T.N..)
09-09-2017 10:05 PM
T.N. Offline
Registered

11-09-2017 01:59 PM
T.N. Offline
Registered

Diveman?
[Image: rru1Qs4.png]
18-09-2017 07:15 AM
T.N. Offline
Registered

New Robot Master!

DCN-XX Soviet Man:
[Image: 4hlVVrZ.png]
19-09-2017 10:03 AM
Zynk Offline
An Indecisive Slacker
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
"New"? But that's Not Star Man!
Today 01:16 AM
Yung Gotenks Offline
Registered

T.N. if this is made in Game Maker, i want to help with the level design if you're taking team members. I don't really know much about coding in game maker, so it's best you take someone else who's better.
Today 01:25 AM