What is the best way to conceptualize a set of Robot Masters?
fragglerockfunny Offline
Registered

What is the best way to conceptualize a set of Robot Masters?
I'm currently in the process of writing concepts for my first fangame and I thought it would be good to make it a boss rush like Cross X.

However, I do already have a set of Robot Masters thought up yet I'm not sure if they're any good or not. What are the things that come into play when conceptualizing/designing a set for a game?
14-08-2017 09:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

RE: What is the best way to conceptualize a set of Robot Masters?
Well if you want to take my fangame Mega Man Dark Carnival as an example, here's how

Make sure they're all a completely different flavor from one another in terms of design, powers, and personality.

Determine what their power is, and how it could be useful to the player. How it could be used against the player. Remember weapons shouldn't just be a fancier way of shooting, but also have some utility uses.

Determine how that power could be the weakness of another robot master in ways other than just simply doing more damage. This can help you decide who the other 7 will be.

For example, in my fangame, Genie Illusion is a decoy bomb attack, while Hunter Woman traces you down with a crosshair. Throwing a diversion will cause her to track the fake you instead. Or how Goalie Man tries to physical kick you, throwing on Swarm Shield will make him just hurt himself instead.
Or like a robot master who tries to grab you should be weak to a weapon like Hyper Bomb, you can dupe him into grabbing the bomb instead.

Next, try to go with a character that is broad and has limitless possiblilites to what their powers could be. As in if you need to change what their attacks in battle will be, it could still fit. Try not to just make a robot master who is only centric to one particular element.

Speaking of elements, a personal preference of mine is that you don't make the robot master elemental (ie fire ice electric) because it may make their weakness too obvious to the player, or limit you from switching the weaknesses around if need be. Mega Man 3 had no elemental robot masters.

And lastly, don't be afraid to get goofy with a couple of them. It'll help make certain masters feel different from one another. You'd be surprised how well robot masters like Clown Man and Spring Man can translate into fun game elements.

Why don't you show me some ideas you have and I could help refine them?
14-08-2017 11:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fragglerockfunny Offline
Registered

Well here are the early concepts. I'm fond of them but they do need some work. I could get detailed but it might not be worth it if these aren't any good.
ELEPHANT MAN
-A combat robot being able to use lasers and brute strength.

WARLOCK MAN
-A robot originally built as movie prop now refitted to use fire, lightning, ice, and dark magic.

OCEAN MAN
-A deep sea exploration robot that is able to use powerful streams of water and hookshots.

JOE MAN
-A Robot Master built as the main commander of a group of Sniper Joes.

MOLTEN MAN
-(I really want to be creative with him since I'm not a fan of elemental RMs but I'm not sure how. I want him to use magma.)

TOUCHDOWN MAN
-A robot skilled in sports equipped with an exploding football.

PLASMA MAN
-A robot with versatile electrical attacks.

BEETLE MAN
-Previously a nature reserve guardian, Beetle Man now uses wrestling and suplex attacks to control a base within a jungle.
15-08-2017 02:33 AM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

Hmm, I'm not sure if Joe Man is a good idea since Sniper Joes are only meant to be minions, and it'd be hard to think of powers for him.

Elephant Man could be a good bruiser robot master who causes earthquakes. Lasers aren't quite fitting though. Not sure on what his power could be. He could have a circus themed level, and maybe flap his ears to hover like Dumbo.

Warlock Man sounds decent. He could probably have a dark magic weapon that could siphon health from enemies to heal the player slightly on kill. He could heal himself in the fight too, but only like how Shade Man does. As long as he doesn't touch you, he can't heal himself.

Ocean Man could be a Posiden based robot. He could probably have an undersea glass tubes stage, with a mechanic where enemies can shatter the glass and flood the arena. His weapon could be a trident hookshot, which could be a bit like Thunder Claw, and Wire, and also retrieve items. Should be weak to an explosive weapon.

Touchdown Man could have a dash tackle attack, much like what I plan to use for Goalie Man. The player could use it as an air dash or use it to tackle enemies.

Plasma Man, not sure, the elec robot masters have been a bit done to death. I'd suggest plasma orbs, but Plug Man kinda has those.

Molten Man could be changed into Wela Man, a tiki based robot master. he could have a fireball shield weapon called Fire Poi. Perhaps the shield gets bigger and stronger the more projectiles it absorbs, but if they get too big, then it vanishes. Have a stage based off Haleakala national park.

Beetle Man I'm not sure, because giving him the ability to grapple the player might become annoying real fast, if the player has to watch control be taken away from them and be suplexed each time. If he is supposed to do that, then he should definitely be weak to a shield weapon. You could probably change him into a speed oriented robot master instead.
15-08-2017 03:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fragglerockfunny Offline
Registered

The reason why I had Elephant Man use lasers is because I plan to have him based on an old concept art for MM2, which featured a radical visor. I also didn't want to do anything predictable and a circus theme is too weak.

The energy siphon attack sounds interesting, might try and workshop that into Warlock.

I think you should remember that this is a boss rush fangame, the weapons must be centered around aiding in boss fights. However if the game is not a total disaster than I might give them stages.

I think I might actually scrap Joe Man since his impression on the player would be stronger if he had a stage. He might stay in if I can think of a fun fight for him.

I could actually try and salvage Molten Man and workshop him into something interesting. I'm not a fan of making him tiki based since I don't know much about the mythology.

I think I might start actually writing strategies for these guys and start actually working on them.
15-08-2017 01:47 PM