Quint's Revenge 2 - Progress
ACESpark Offline
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Tetris AwardSpike AwardRockman AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorSmash AwardAce Award
Quint's Revenge 2 - Progress
Some updates on QR2: I haven't had much chance to work on this or Revolution lately, owing to real life crap going on, but here's a couple of things I'm working on:

Firstly: I'm trying to listen to what feedback I can from the demo. I know one of the least liked portions of it was the Auto-Scroller in Sapphire Fire Man's stage. It was an interesting idea, but not enough was done to justify the Auto-Scrolling aspect of it, and it didn't really match the speed based gameplay that is Quint's playstyle.
This aspect has been removed, and modified into a free-scrolling segment:

Secondly: Some people have commented that the robot masters are a tad simplistic. Fair enough. I don't particularly like outright randomness in my boss fights, so I don't tend to add it. But I get it - some of the boss patterns are a bit too simple for their own good. I'll see about adding a bit more complexity to them, here's an attempt with Toad:

Other bits of feedback I'm going to address:
The slide seems pointless:
Honestly, this was added because I kind of missed this ability in the original for stage design purposes. I feel that at least some of the newer stages justify this ability. I haven't gone overboard, mind. I just use it. I also feel I justified it with Ruby Elec's fight.

Hyacinth Gemini's stage is a tad long:
I only saw a few people say this, but if there is significant feedback that feel it is, I am prepared to at least remove the Yoku block segment. Everything else needs to stay or else the gimmick introduction and usage will be ruined. And as far as I can tell, people *liked* the stage's gimmick.

Please don't put force beams in Emerald Quick's stage!:
I won't be putting in force beams in Emerald Quick's stage. [Image: wink.png]
More to the point, Top Man had them in the first game, so...

We want lives back!:
You people are crazy, but fine. I'll implement lives into the game and give people the option between infinite and finite lives.

There will be something major revealed the next couple of weeks at some point. I'll post here when i'm done.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2016 01:50 PM by ACESpark.)
03-12-2016 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
barberbarberjoe Offline
Still Here
Registered

RE: Quint's Revenge 2 - Progress
(03-12-2016 01:35 PM)ACESpark Wrote:  Some updates on QR2: I haven't had much chance to work on this or Revolution lately, owing to real life crap going on

Not to mention SIBRE (although that one's a community project), but that's entirely understandable.

Quote:There will be something major revealed the next couple of weeks at some point. I'll post here when i'm done.
Sounds promising.

Overall, it's nice to let everyone know what has been going on for this project. Good luck though.
03-12-2016 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
crist1919 Offline
Making Proto Man
Registered

As for me, game is good so far. However I have small suggestions. First thing - is it possible to make Quint keep his dash while changing direction? I think it would help making game more dynamic and would help in fighting harder robot masters.

I have some suggestions about them too, but I'll post them as a spoiler.

04-12-2016 11:27 AM
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

Tetris AwardSpike AwardRockman AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorSmash AwardAce Award
(04-12-2016 11:27 AM)crist1919 Wrote:  As for me, game is good so far. However I have small suggestions. First thing - is it possible to make Quint keep his dash while changing direction? I think it would help making game more dynamic and would help in fighting harder robot masters.
I get what you mean, but this one I won't be changing. The Quint dash stopping when you press the direction was intentional, and done for two reasons:
1) Maintain consistency with the first game.
2) Because of the high speed nature of the game, it allows users for a second "twitch reaction" and to stop themselves from careening into, say, a pit or enemy. I personally find it easier and more natural to change direction rather than let go of Dash, especially because this is how the dash works in Mega Man X and Mega Man & Bass.

(04-12-2016 11:27 AM)crist1919 Wrote:  Gemini Man
I think there should be more time before doing next attack, especially after his "shield" one - sometimes it's almost impossible to avoid his clones.
You aren't the first to suggest this. Gemini Man now has a tell and delay before he changes phases.

(04-12-2016 11:27 AM)crist1919 Wrote:  Snake Man
I think if it would be possible, it would be great to decrease difficulty of second phase (maybe make it a bit more predictable). Maybe I'm not good, but I've tried perfect him buster only and haven't managed yet.
Here's the thing: There isn't an inch of randomization in Snake Man's second phase. He reacts to his positioning and a set of pre-determined triggers. He's just very particular about it. And on a personal level, I actually find his first phase harder than the second. The key to getting a perfect run against Snake is to keep on top of the Snake Commando's he throws. Prevent him from building up his Snakes, and he'll never use his Homing Snake attack.

I may reduce the health of the Snake Commandos to make rapid-fire a more viable option. The intended method to fighting him buster only was to use charge shots, but I'll happily make rapid-fire (or Roahm's "method") more viable.

For additional assistance, here is how Snake Man's triggers look:
[Image: dUlWPur.png]

He'll only throw Snakes when he reaches the triggers facing his direction, (and he'll turn to face you as he does so) with the exception of the middle one, which he'll activate provided there are already Snakes in existence. If you time it just right (er.. wrong?), he has the capability to throw multiple Snakes from this position. Otherwise he tries to use it as a launching point for his Homing Snake.
Once a trigger has been activated, he can't activate it again until he hits a wall. Knowing these variables, it's possible to predict his behavior, although admittedly not always easy in the heat of battle.

(04-12-2016 11:27 AM)crist1919 Wrote:  Flash Man
As for him I have only one small suggestion.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9sAjXF...FhVm8/view
Is it possible to change this a bit? I mean sometimes this attack is unavoidable or extremely hard.
Dammit, I thought I had fixed that. I'll get on it.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2016 12:41 PM by ACESpark.)
04-12-2016 12:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kallisto Offline
Postman
Registered

I really dig how Snake Man was done, I think this is a first he ever used his Snake Minion as seen in the anime intro for MM8.
04-12-2016 06:09 PM
barberbarberjoe Offline
Still Here
Registered

(04-12-2016 06:09 PM)Kallisto Wrote:  I really dig how Snake Man was done, I think this is a first he ever used his Snake Minion as seen in the anime intro for MM8.

It reminds me a lot of the Fish Man and Polar Man battles in Rock Force, but the most interesting part is this kind of 2-phase battle hasn't been done for a regular non-fortress RM before (as far as I know).
04-12-2016 07:47 PM
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

Bit more on the boss changes. As you can see, Gemini's had the tell implemented (as well as an actual attack during phase 1 of the battle should the player try to get past it by not firing.)... and Drill was heavily polished up, as he really didn't feel polished at all. (I'd somehow even managed to make him use the wrong animation frames originally, and his intro animation was particularly crap!) Like Gemini, he's also gained tells, although he's had a few changes to his AI as well, especially since he had an attack that amounted to "move out of the way once, and let him continue to impotently fire his attacks whilst they whiff past you."
I can't tell whether these changes makes him easier or harder.

Ignore the background, it's not connected to either boss... in fact both bosses are there as placeholder enemies for this particular stage. [Image: wily.gif]
05-12-2016 10:34 PM
Kallisto Offline
Postman
Registered

Drill Man means business this time.
06-12-2016 12:52 AM
barberbarberjoe Offline
Still Here
Registered

(06-12-2016 12:52 AM)Kallisto Wrote:  Drill Man means business this time.

Yeah, although not as radically as in Minus Infinity.

Seriously though, these boss fights are looking great so far.
06-12-2016 12:36 PM
Rokim21 Offline
Obscure games deserve respect!
Registered

What's about include a shop system to the game?
06-12-2016 04:28 PM
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

19-03-2017 01:46 AM
InfinitiZero Offline
JKN-Infiniti
Registered

Oh yeah...~ That was cool i guess NO IT WAS SICK BRUH
19-03-2017 02:15 AM
edencrafty126 Offline
Regular
Registered

Wow that video was Great!
19-03-2017 03:02 AM
Renhoek Offline
Made an account to use once or twice.
Registered

I thought you were going to steal the disappearing petit snake bodies from MAGMML2 :V
19-03-2017 04:03 AM
nintendogamemaster Offline
Registered

(19-03-2017 01:46 AM)ACESpark Wrote:  

Im already hyped for this game Big Grin

Cant wait to know the story^^
21-03-2017 05:20 AM
sonny Offline
Regular
Registered

This scenario looks so beautiful!!
21-03-2017 04:25 PM
Azure-Mage Offline
Loves the smell of Starbucks in the morning
Registered

Now that's a damn good job on Amethyst Snake Man's stage, if I do say so myself! I especially like the Snake Titan fight and how the rest of his stage takes place inside of that big scaly fella!

Speaking of which, regarding the rest of the Gem Enhanced Robot Masters, I can only imagine what their personalities are like? We've got Sapphire Fire Man, Ruby Elec Man and Emerald Quick Man covered, so I'm guessing Crystal Flash Man might behave like a certain time-stopping vampire (minus "MUDAMUDAMUDA").
21-03-2017 07:38 PM
M. Jacquelinae Offline
I promise not to kill you.
Registered

I think this is actually the best fangame in progress
21-03-2017 09:24 PM