[Fan Game] Mega Man Endless
TheFallenAlchemist Offline
Dr. Wily's Bastard Child
Registered

RE: Mega Man Endless
Seven? Ugh. Why can't it be five?

Just kidding. Wink I look forward to playing this one again. When I started playing 2.5D and RKS recently, I noticed that my Mega Man was a little rusty and this will polish it up. To be honest, I never hated the game. It just showed me how difficult a game of this nature can be. I will say that even though there are a lot of spike traps in the game, there's nothing like what I encountered in the Star Man stage of 2.5D. Some of those jumps are completely unfair. That just doesn't happen here.

Yeah, I review stuff: http://thegrimtower.com
08-02-2017 12:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

If a Yoku Block appears on top of a Hyper Bomb moving through the air, the Hyper Bomb gets stuck and hovers in place inside of it, repetitively playing the landing sound.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2017 04:21 AM by Entity1037.)
10-02-2017 04:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

(08-02-2017 12:15 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  I look forward to playing this one again. When I started playing 2.5D and RKS recently, I noticed that my Mega Man was a little rusty and this will polish it up. To be honest, I never hated the game. It just showed me how difficult a game of this nature can be. I will say that even though there are a lot of spike traps in the game, there's nothing like what I encountered in the Star Man stage of 2.5D. Some of those jumps are completely unfair. That just doesn't happen here.

Glad to hear it; you seemed pretty upset with Endless back in the day. ;)
While some spike maneuverings can certainly be challenging, there is a distinct difference between cheapness and challenge and I always felt that Endless fell into the latter. That didn't seem to be the feeling with everyone though, so I appreciate your observation on that. :)
Anyway, I hope this update will be more to your liking!

(10-02-2017 04:21 AM)Entity1037 Wrote:  If a Yoku Block appears on top of a Hyper Bomb moving through the air, the Hyper Bomb gets stuck and hovers in place inside of it, repetitively playing the landing sound.

Thanks for reporting that! I've logged it, though I probably won't patch unless enough other bugs surface as it's short-lived and not game-breaking. And seemingly hard to replicate; I had way more misses, proper pop-to-tops or stuck-without-sounds before that happened, so... no wonder it slipped by. -_-

[Image: link-blykasdoor.png] [Image: link5.png]
11-02-2017 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
awd42 Offline
Regular
Registered

Wow, it's alive again! Smile

I didn't think you were doing any more updates, so I never reported this, but I found a minor graphical glitch: the "conveyor wheels" as seen here (1:49) have a solid black square background, but it should be transparent. I think this may also apply to the ends of the Metal Man-style conveyors but those are usually less noticeable.

I've only played about an hour of the new version, but I really like the changes made so far. The first time I "died" but then restarted the level I had a "Dammit! .... Oh, right." moment. MM - Grin As I've had several 30+ minute runs fail due to a slightly mistimed jump or inappropriate slide, this is a very welcome change.

This, however is not:
Quote:Fixed Ice Slasher hitbox to prevent it incorrectly passing overhead.
I'd learned the pattern for Ice Man and could buster-perfect him pretty easily, but now he's really kicking my butt! I did notice the shot passing partially through Mega Man's head without you taking damage, but figured it was intentional since in Wily Wars there are several such instances due to Mega Man's larger sprite.

Another unwelcome change (or new bug?) is that in Joseph Collins' pink brick level, you used to be able to kill the Komasburos with one ring shot (which passed through the barrier and hit multiple times), but now ring only seems to deal 1 or 2 damage. In the old version, that would randomly happen maybe 20% of the time depending on jump height (and almost never when standing on the same level as them), but now it seems to happen 100% of the time.

(06-02-2017 07:55 PM)Blyka Wrote:  Finally, I've also added a Boss Damage Chart (spoilers) to the site.

Meh, that's not much of a spoiler. Spoilers would be damage charts for the secret bosses!

Speaking of, here are the bosses I've found so far:
Weakness/fight detail discussions in a separate spoiler block:

Finally, Time Mode. I've played that almost as much as Classic Mode once I learned the levels, since it encourages speed run strats and weapon experimentation (e.g. I didn't know that Ring one-shots Crazy Cannons until I entered a level with that active and decided to roll with it) and seems pretty well thought-out. Most levels are pretty fair with the time plates, finishing with +/- 5 seconds from where you started, and you can gain serious time on bosses when using their weakness (vs. losing a small amount with the buster). However, there are a couple exceptions (as of v1.2, at least):
  • Blyka's vertical tan brick level: I lose about 15 seconds here with using Centaur Flash on screens two (that dang met!) and four (Battons running interference for Komasaburo) and grabbing all the time plates (which still gains a little time, even going out of the way for them). If you do it without spending 8 units of your Flash energy, it's more like 30 seconds lost.
  • Entity's mosh pit level: Since you pretty much have to take it slow and kill almost all the enemies in the upper path to avoid falling in the pit, I usually lose about 15 seconds here.
  • Flashman85's ladders/guts lifts/spikes level: I usually lose about 15-20 seconds here, but that's more due to being cautious on this incredibly dangerous level. Doing a true speed run would probably lose 5 seconds or less, but more important is that you only get your first time plate on the second screen after several jumps and ladder climbs (about 15 seconds from level start), so if you enter the level low on time you're basically screwed.
Really, 3 out of 48 levels having minor issues isn't bad at all, but some minor tweaking of the time plates would be welcome.
28-02-2017 04:50 AM
Beed28 Offline
The world is more fun when it's all bouncy.
Registered

Would like to see the secret bosses. I don't think any videos of this game showcases them even after a while since the game released.
28-02-2017 07:16 AM
Big Fish Offline
Sea Food
Registered

(28-02-2017 07:16 AM)Beed28 Wrote:  Would like to see the secret bosses. I don't think any videos of this game showcases them even after a while since the game released.

28-02-2017 04:23 PM
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

(28-02-2017 04:50 AM)awd42 Wrote:  I've only played about an hour of the new version, but I really like the changes made so far.

Wonderful to hear! Glad you're enjoying it. :)

(28-02-2017 04:50 AM)awd42 Wrote:  I didn't think you were doing any more updates, so I never reported this, but I found a minor graphical glitch:

It is a bit funny looking in the polish of 16bit, but that's actually intentional since it's how Wily Wars used those tiles originally. But thanks for mentioning it all the same. :)

(28-02-2017 04:50 AM)awd42 Wrote:  I'd learned the pattern for Ice Man and could buster-perfect him pretty easily, but now he's really kicking my butt!

It's actually as it's supposed to be now, though I was afraid that fix might throw some players off--sorry to hear you're one of them. :/ His Ice Slasher was just a pixel or two short, which wasn't apparent with the original hitbox imprecision in the SD games, but shaving off the few top pixels for Endless exposed it.
Ah well, a little readjusting and he's not so tough... https://youtu.be/hVl2TsPhQ0s?t=2m10s

(28-02-2017 04:50 AM)awd42 Wrote:  Another unwelcome change (or new bug?) is that in Joseph Collins' pink brick level, you used to be able to kill the Komasburos with one ring shot (which passed through the barrier and hit multiple times), but now ring only seems to deal 1 or 2 damage.

Hm, should be as it always has. I just ran through the level and they all went down with one shot (assuming you're at the right distance; it hits multiple times, so if you don't fire a certain way there's a chance it won't deal as much damage).

(28-02-2017 07:16 AM)Beed28 Wrote:  Would like to see the secret bosses. I don't think any videos of this game showcases them even after a while since the game released.
(28-02-2017 04:50 AM)awd42 Wrote:  Meh, that's not much of a spoiler. Spoilers would be damage charts for the secret bosses!

Well it could be a spoiler if you'd never played the game and didn't want to know which bosses were featured in it... but I did in fact put that there to future-proof the eventual addition of the secret bosses to that chart. ;)
I also plan to do a perfect run video of all the secret bosses, but I wanted to give the new update some time to breath and maybe let players discover them first before throwing such spoilers on my site.
And my computer sucks too bad just now to record said video, so... XP

(28-02-2017 04:50 AM)awd42 Wrote:  
  • Blyka's vertical tan brick level: I lose about 15 seconds here with using Centaur Flash on screens two (that dang met!) and four (Battons running interference for Komasaburo) and grabbing all the time plates (which still gains a little time, even going out of the way for them). If you do it without spending 8 units of your Flash energy, it's more like 30 seconds lost.
  • Entity's mosh pit level: Since you pretty much have to take it slow and kill almost all the enemies in the upper path to avoid falling in the pit, I usually lose about 15 seconds here.
  • Flashman85's ladders/guts lifts/spikes level: I usually lose about 15-20 seconds here, but that's more due to being cautious on this incredibly dangerous level. Doing a true speed run would probably lose 5 seconds or less, but more important is that you only get your first time plate on the second screen after several jumps and ladder climbs (about 15 seconds from level start), so if you enter the level low on time you're basically screwed.
Hm, I wanted to record how I run these levels, but as previously mentioned my computer isn't fond of the idea. So...
  • Running through imperfectly just now without weapon usage I think I only lost about 4 seconds here, but if you've any Boost Jump that makes a tremendous difference in the semifinal room.
  • It's tricky, but it is possible to make it to the end without weapons and with gained seconds. Letting Yambows fly by and shooting once+dodging the Bomb Fliers makes a big difference I think.
  • This one's definitely tight, but if you really know the tricks and are feeling bold it's actually possible to knock it out with ~15 seconds gained using no weapons... the tricks being good timing on the platforms and jumping from the tip of the Guts lift onto the Pole Eggs. Of course, Boost Jump or Charge Kick help a lot in this level.
    Regarding the first plate, I suppose it does require a few seconds out of you, but if you're about to run out of time the left route gets you a plate faster than the right route.

Of course, these runs are the result of much practicing and testing to make sure Time Mode worked out okay, and I imagine it's pretty difficult to get these things down expertly in normal play...
...but yeah. With strategic weapon usage and/or fast weapon-less running I thought these levels worked out okay myself. And I wouldn't call myself a speed runner, so there may be even better ways to do it than what I've found. XD

Anyway, it's good to hear you're finding the rest of the levels well balanced and I think it's awesome you enjoy Time Mode. I find it a fun shake up but it's essentially hard mode in a game that most players deemed too hard anyway, so I doubt it gets much love.

(This post was last modified: 28-02-2017 06:16 PM by Blyka.)
28-02-2017 06:10 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(28-02-2017 04:50 AM)awd42 Wrote:  I'd learned the pattern for Ice Man and could buster-perfect him pretty easily, but now he's really kicking my butt! I did notice the shot passing partially through Mega Man's head without you taking damage, but figured it was intentional since in Wily Wars there are several such instances due to Mega Man's larger sprite.

I'll second that. I trained on the NES version of Ice Man, where you can safely stand under his middle shot, so this change has significantly increased the difficulty of the fight. I haven't practiced enough to see how feasible an alternate strategy is, but at the moment, I would be in favor of un-patching this.

EDIT: Oops, I just saw the damage-free video. I'm still a little skeptical about consistently getting the timing and distance right on the one you have to jump for, but I'll give that approach a shot.

(28-02-2017 04:23 PM)Big Fish Wrote:  

THANK YOU. Even with the gameplay adjustments, I'm still struggling to outdo my old high scores, so I was beginning to lose hope that I'd ever see more than one of the secret bosses.

No matter where you go, there you are.
(This post was last modified: 28-02-2017 06:27 PM by Flashman85.)
28-02-2017 06:20 PM
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

(28-02-2017 06:20 PM)Flashman85 Wrote:  I trained on the NES version of Ice Man, where you can safely stand under his middle shot

... You're absolutely right. It's been so long since I made Ice Man for SD Powered Up that I'm not sure if my change was intentional or not, but I'm thinking it was given that my shot pattern is slightly different from the original and with consideration that you can slide and move easier in my games as opposed to MM1. At this point I just thought it was the natural way of things, but I guess it stands to reason they wouldn't have done that to you in MM1 when you couldn't slide under.

Though it seems my Ice Man has a different disadvantage: I've just now discovered that the original one speeds up his firing rate considerably if the battle goes on for too long--and again if it goes on longer, becoming quite lethal. Always more to learn!

(This post was last modified: 28-02-2017 07:50 PM by Blyka.)
28-02-2017 07:49 PM
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

(28-02-2017 06:10 PM)Blyka Wrote:  I also plan to do a perfect run video of all the secret bosses, but I wanted to give the new update some time to breath and maybe let players discover them first before throwing such spoilers on my site.

Well, I'd say it's had enough time, so if anyone's interested the aforementioned video is up:

The Boss Damage Chart has also been updated accordingly. Legit spoilers this time. ;)

And I think that's pretty much a wrap on Endless content/updates, so thanks again to everyone who took part in this project. :)

27-05-2017 09:30 PM