SIBRE "College Build" 1 - Release and Download - Bug Testing Pwease!
ACESpark Offline
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Threads: 195
SIBRE "College Build" 1 - Release and Download - Bug Testing Pwease!
I said I'd release something this weekend and I meant it:
Get the build here.

Everything, from the graphics, the music, to the weapons should be considered placeholder.

Features of this build:
* Ordnance Man & Devil Man as test bosses.
* One or two enemies to fight.
* Moving platform shenanigans.
* 12 test weapons.
* Items, and Tanks
* 3 Difficulty Options for the bosses.

I have not at this point gotten the "obscure controller" support functional again yet, so only major controller releases would work in this build.

What I'm wanting: Bug reports, any issues with the gameplay, that sort of thing. Feedback on the bosses is fine too. Suggestions for setups that I can test with are also an idea, as I'm stumped as to what to actually test at times.

Other Notes:
* No, despite the "getting weapon" pose, you do not actually obtain Devil or Ordy's boss weapons for beating them in this build, sorry.
* The first door in Devil Man's corridor is two-way, that's intentional.
* Items do not collect if you are fully stocked on that item. So if your E-Tanks are full, you don't pick it up, same with health, weapon energy, etc.
* Lives are not functional. You effectively have infinite lives, and the game resets itself upon beating one of the two bosses.

So... SIBRE's not dead!
Remember this is for a college project as well, so any help is really appreciated!
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2016, 03:37 PM by ACESpark.)
11-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Website Find
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

RE: SIBRE "College Build" 1 - Release and Download - Bug Testing Pwease!
Bugs Listed and Found:
* Dying with the V. Flare active freezes the attack. It disappears once the next screen loads, but figured I might as well mention it.
* Minor thing, but resetting the game through a boss defeat doesn't reset checkpoint activity.
* Double KO's against a boss lead to soft lock.
* Switching to other weapons whilst weapons are on screen lead to weird stuff happening. Fixed... I think, Check the updated build above!
* Using an Tank whilst using an Xbox controller causes you to use more than one of them. - Fixed for next version.
* Layering issues involving the HUD.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2016, 10:25 PM by ACESpark.)
11-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Website Find
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Threads: 28
Bugs I've found so far:

-HUD goes behind tiles
-Spawn point for V Flare is slightly off-center to the left, seemingly
-Shots play the standard shot noise regardless of what the actual shot level is (i.e., charge lvl.1 plays the sound twice at once, charge lvl. 2 plays the charge shot noise along with the regular shot noise)

Will edit this post as necessary.

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
11-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Find
Mick Galbani Offline
Fanthulhu
Super Moderators

Threads: 37

So... this is a thing that happens.
11-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Find
Ndraxian0 Offline
Apparently Posts Alot
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 6
If you pause and switch weapons in mid dash, the weapon freezes and no other weapons can be used. With the exception of H.Dash, switching back to the proper weapon unfreezes the effect.

In H.Dashs case, switching away freezes megaman's movement in place in midair, and only allows inching if done on the ground (also creates a second dash frame megaman until switched back to H.Dash), I'm calling this state as H.Frozen as a short hand, since there's a lot of glitches that further happen while in this state. If you switch back to H.Dash while H.frozen, megaman stays frozen but can now fire other weapons.
Taking damage while H.frozen works as damage should, and knocks you to the ground, but megaman is unable to more left or right.
Slide works while H.frozen if knocked to the ground while H.Frozen, and works if you were intially on the ground when becoming h.frozen.
If you slide or inch off a platform while H.Frozen, you can slide and inch in midair.
Moving Platforms work normally while H.Frozen.
The weapon get outro for beating an RM doesn't work while H.Frozen.

Christianity is my faith not my religion. And neither should be pushed upon people.

Quote:(10:52:07) Jace: Screw the rules, you have Mistresses
11-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Find
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

Updated the build to fix Weapon Swapping shenanigans.

11-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Website Find
Smedis2 Offline
Are video games real?
Registered

Threads: 34
Prepare for some pretty anal-retentive reports below:
- Ladder sprite's offset is wrong, as well as the step animation's.
- Mega Man intro warp is weird. Maybe a product of it being a pre-alpha?
- Hit spark positioning is off on Mega Man. It doesn't precisely follow him when he moves. Also, the flicker feels... off. Same with the weapon-switch icon.
- Ladder is weird. I've gotten Mega Man to do a normal jump, fall incredibly fast and other anomalies while jumping off it it.
- Slide-Shooting is buggy and hell (and multiverse mayhem did it first u stealing fuk >Sad((((). Sometimes it fires multiple shots at once and doesn't actually respond to button presses until a second later. Also, you fire a few pixels higher when doing that.
- Somehow managing to get hit while doing H-Dash causes Mega to fall really fast. Pressing jump while it's occuring also makes him go a pixel higher.
- Energy recharge pause extends past when you actually hit the bar's max.
- Jumping feels slightly delayed? Not sure if this is just me playing with a keyboard.
- Checkpoints still work even after the game is reset when a boss is beat.
- Can still shoot while doing screen transitions.
- Sliding while going up a ladder causes the sliding animation to override for a second.

Otherwise, nice job for a pre-alpha.

CHECK OUT STUFF I MAKE OVER AT
[Image: d03b37145145880c6532998fa3a49c20.png]
Here's my TWITTER
11-03-2016, 10:49 PM
Website Find
CosmicGem Offline
Chiptune Fanatic [Depressed]
Beta Tester

Threads: 1
This is nice, I didn't encounter any bugs while playing. What did you use to make this? I'm guessing either Python or MultiMedia Fusion 2.

12-03-2016, 12:49 AM
Website Find
DarkSamus993 Offline
Keeper of the Archives
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 5
SIBRE "College Build" (v15)
- Even though build 2 fixes this glitch, it still deserves to be mentioned, because who does't love moon-walking Mega Man?
[Image: G1ra0gv.gif]

SIBRE "College Build" (v16)
1) A double KO on Ordnance Man warps you back as normal, but the fight starts again (from the other side of the door) and Mega falls through the floor. This resulted in a soft-lock. Fixed - ACE

2) A double KO on Devil Man warps you back as normal, but the Weapon Get cutscene plays and the game continues (or rather ends) normally. Fixed - ACE

3) You can still fire weapons during screen transitions (not door transitions though). Fixed - ACE

4) If you fire an uncharged shot going into a door transition Mega will auto-charge his buster.Not sure I can fix this one without breaking the whole "you can hold charged shots through door transitions" as they are tied together. I'll look into it. - ACE

5) Leaving Devil Man's boss corridor and returning the way you came results in the hedgehog enemy coming towards you through the screen transition. Fixed, this was poor stage design than anything else. - ACE

6) Charging a buster shot while sliding through a 1-tile gap pauses the charging (both the palette cycling and the actual charge level). Same behaviour as the actual games I believe.

7) You can get pinched by the green lift platform (Devil Man's area). ????? - ACE
[Image: N5NtyPN.gif]

8) You can touch spike while using H. Dash and not be killed (once the animation for it ends you do however). Intentional - ACE
Similarly, touching a boss door won't trigger it. Also somewhat intentional. - ACE

9) Using H. Dash while sliding through a 1-tile gap lets you stand up in it. Using it again or switching weapons warps you upward to the next available open space. You are unable to jump in this state as well. Fixed - ACE

10) Dying while going through a boss door transition results in hilarity. While impossible in this build of SIBRE (except through debugging features), if an enemy were to be placed near the door, it would result with this. Dying while going through the 2-way door (if you haven't reached the checkpoint yet) results in you getting sucked to that position (horizontally).Fixed, I think - ACE

11) Weapons do not despawn during screen/boss door transitions.Fixed - ACE

12) Ladders are rather glitchy as far as animation is concerned.
- Getting hurt and dashing on the ground and climbing a ladder overrides the climbing animation.[./s] Fixed, I think - ACE
-[s] Dashing can sometimes be initiated in the middle of a ladder.[./s] Fixed - ACE
-[s] H. Dash overides the climbing animation and will play indefinitely if you quickly grab the ladder and then don't move.
Fixed, I think - ACE
- Q. Axer overrides the climbing animation. Fixed - ACE
- Repeatably jumping off and regrabbing a ladder multiplies your fall speed (and resets once you touch ground again).Fixed - ACE

13) Going through screen/door transitions while using H. Dash seems to have the weird property of moving Mega up a pixel or two, meaning in certain spots you can clip out-of-bounds or get stuck.
You can return the game to normal by going back to the left and climbing down the ladder. Going into the boss room as shown results in a soft-lock.[Image: twwx2dM.gif]
Getting stuck in a block here also results in a soft-lock.
[Image: o4xHaRr.gif]
Fixed, I think - ACE

EDIT:
Added an animated GIF to showcase bug #7. Hopefully that clears things up for you ACE.
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2016, 03:47 PM by DarkSamus993.)
12-03-2016, 01:15 AM
Website Find
Gaia Offline
Offical Sprites INC Beta Tester
Beta Tester

In terms of weapons balancing..

A. Blaster seems to be a bit too effective against Ordinance Man, especially when it has little weapon useage compared to say, Q. Axer against Devil Man (while it shaves off his health neatly, it takes up quite a lot of energy).

[Image: 345y4jt.jpg]

Quote:(20:08:09) Gaia: jace hey jace
(20:08:16) Gaia: children's card games is on
(20:09:27) Jace: ...
(20:09:35) Jace: How the HELL did you know I put that on my TV
(01:30:24) Rhythm_BCA: be yourself and don't pretend to be what you think they think you should be
12-03-2016, 01:23 AM
Find
Yog-Jaceoth Offline
The Ectoknight
Superior

Threads: 3
> 1) A double KO on Ordnance Man warps you back as normal, but the fight starts again (from the other side of the door) and Mega falls through the floor. This resulted in a soft-lock. Fixed - ACE

Not fixed. Just happened to me... Could be because I was using V. Flare and it killed Ord after he already killed me.

(21:43:46) Rhythm: neo's the lovable failure that you want to punch in the face cause he keeps getting in bed with a different chick every 2-3 months and they all have herpes

(22:19:11) RezonAce: Dude, Jace is powers like that
(22:19:23) RezonAce: He can give anyone the deep penis from around the world
12-03-2016, 08:35 PM
Find
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

I don't think it wasn't fixed for build 2 but rather the build I'm currently working on.
Sorry, I'm more marking them off as fixed so I know for future reference that I've fixed the bug my end.

Should be releasing a new build with some additional features shortly.

12-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Website Find
Rhythm Offline
Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya
Co-Admin

Threads: 69
So here's what I have on the build you recently shared:

* Devil Man just throws his trident and then stares blankly while i murder him. (i know you corrected it, but still posting here for posterity) Fixed - ACE
* Shock Dash, when released in a jump, does a little puff of the beginning of the dash, then cancels out, but still uses weapon energy Fixed - ACE
* I alt-tab'd to a different window and Mega Man was stuck running to the right, through the boss door, into the Ordnance man fight, to his doom.... Fixed - ACE
* Plaid Shield I've been able to have appear multiple times when one of the nodes is used. This was during the revamped Devil Man fight. Will keep using it to see if glitch of pressing fire button or if something more Fixed, I think - ACE

[Image: 67617b7e1d6Ur.png]
(This post was last modified: 13-03-2016, 10:25 AM by ACESpark.)
13-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Website Find
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

Added another release, which has a crapton of bug fixes, and adds 8 new test weapons to the mix. They aren't SIBRE related but they are INC related, so you may recognise where these ones are from.

http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/Game/...egut20.zip

(This post was last modified: 14-03-2016, 03:37 PM by ACESpark.)
14-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Website Find
Blackhook Offline
Gonna get promoted...eventually
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 9
I couldn't find anything too weird, just a few oddities.
>The hedgehog enemy in his curled up form can fit into sliding spaces, even tho his sprite seems to be too big to actually fit there. Chalk it up to poor stage design than anything else. In an actual game the enemy wouldn't be placed in such a predicament. - ACE
>You respawn with the weapon you had equipped when you died I really should change that shouldn't I? Haha. - ACE
>Unable to pick up items when you are full on life/Tanks...dunno if intentional or not, just seems un-Megaman. This is a feature from Mega Man and Bass and is completely intentional, as noted in the first post. - ACE

[Image: d82bcef28Chwb.png]
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2016, 10:16 AM by ACESpark.)
14-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Find
Smedis2 Offline
Are video games real?
Registered

Threads: 34
If you go into G. Cutter and then while the projectile for it is on screen, the switch to H. Splash, G. Cutter does Splash's explosion animation. - Fixed - ACE

What.

*EDIT*
Woah, found a really weird one. Not sure if this is exclusive to controller-users, but...

By spamming slide/holding down (with only an analog controller, it seems), you can get Mega Man to violently speed up after a slide, and slow down when casually walking.

CHECK OUT STUFF I MAKE OVER AT
[Image: d03b37145145880c6532998fa3a49c20.png]
Here's my TWITTER
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2016, 11:17 AM by ACESpark.)
14-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Website Find
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Threads: 14
If you and the boss die at the same time, then when you respawn you'll fall through the floor when you teleport in and be stuck offscreen.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
14-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Find
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

What? Even in the new version I just posted? Because I'm not replicating that, like, at all.

14-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Website Find
DarkSamus993 Offline
Keeper of the Archives
SIBRE Alpha Testers

SIBRE "College Build" (v19)
1) Selecting a next or previous weapon (either via quick select or menu) from H. Dash and S. Dash allow you to stand up in 1-tile gaps. Fixed - ACE
[Image: DRPMUjy.gif]

2) The HUD goes behind the green blocks. Fixed - ACE
[Image: eVeGSta.png]

3) Animation error, if you fire a shot and then quickly slide it shows the ''shooting slide" frame. The animation engine doesn't want to be quick enough to change the frame back it seems. I think I'm going to have to let that one slide as removing those frames would end up breaking some potential weapon plans in the future.
[Image: lPcjjdv.png]

4) If you fire V. Flare and then pause, the Bosses will still take damage from it. You can kill them in one shot this way. Fixed - ACE
[Image: dHtS9tk.gif]

5) If you pause just before you die, you soft-lock the game. It tries to warp you back in, but just shows the pause menu (you can't even move the cursor). Fixed - ACE

6) If you use an E-Tank, but before your life is fully refilled, you can use another one - effectively wasting it (the same goes for W and M-Tanks). Fixed - ACE

SIBRE "College Build" (v20)
1) Mega's position is off when getting on/off a ladder and you are also able to slide while on ladders.
[Image: iBfwHbz.gif]

2) If you get Devil Man's checkpoint, but then leave to go fight Ordnance Man, the checkpoint doesn't update. So if you die to Ordnance Man you get warped back to Devil Man's corridor.

3) The ladder animation doesn't override the hit-stun animation if you get hit and then climb a ladder.
[Image: fdAch3M.gif]
14-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Website Find
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Threads: 14
(14-03-2016, 11:42 AM)ACESpark Wrote: What? Even in the new version I just posted? Because I'm not replicating that, like, at all.

I guess. I mean I just downloaded it not very long before I posted about the dying at the same time as the boss making you fall through the floor. You might both have to die on the same frame. I'll try it out more. Also, it happened with Ordinance Man, if that matters.

Ohh..... Yeah it happened again. I died a split second before the boss did, and when I teleported back in I fell through the floor, and the boss meter appeared with the boss music playing. I think it's when the game tries to do the win sequence when you're dead, or when it tries to do the win sequence while the game is resetting from dying.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2016, 07:16 PM by Entity1037.)
14-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Find