[Game]: MegaMan Endless - Level Design Contest! - CLOSED
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

MegaMan Endless - Level Design Contest! - CLOSED
- This contest is closed. Thanks for participating! -

[Image: mmendless-banner1.png]

- The Game -

Mega Man Endless is a large scale Endless Attack mode as found in Mega Man 9/10 and various rom hacks. It follows the standard formula with 5 micro level segments before a boss, and will feature 12 bosses and 60 levels. One lap is practically a full-length Mega Man game, and with online leaderboards it's quite the endless experience!
In addition to the Classic Mode it also features a Boss Mode, Timed Mode and Perfect Mode (1 HP and no weapons or item pickups).

This game is essentially complete except for levels, which brings us to...

- The Contest -

My level inspiration has dried up over the years from prior fangames, not to mention they weren't always well-received to begin with. So for a game like Endless that relies entirely on solid level design, I'd love for its levels to be a fanbase effort--your chance to put forth and play what you think a Mega Man level should be like!

This contest is in collaboration with SnoruntPyro, who made it possible with her efforts in tweaking my engine to make it accessible to non-GM users--as well as easy to submit custom levels--for her own level contest that ended recently with good results.
This means no coding or prior gamedev experience is required to take part!

- The Reward -

Winners will see that awesome level design idea they've always wanted to play featured in a 16bit fangame with a top-quality engine.

And their name in the game, naturally.

And... No, there are no prizes. This project is simply a tribute to our favorite Blue Bomber.

Still here? Wonderful, let's move on to...

- The Rules & Guidelines -

- Mega Man can slide, but no charge shot.

- Don't worry about graphics or music! Winners in Endless will have 16bit graphics and tunes chosen after the fact. Do what you want here, but generally sticking to these basic tiles would keep things super simple and easier for you to focus more on design and less on aesthetics.

- Levels must be 6 screens in length, starting and ending with a 32x64 teleporter (which can be set anywhere in the start/end rooms).
If 6 screens isn't enough for you there's no limit to how many levels you can submit, so go all out!
If on the other hand you simply can't finish a 6 screen level but have a killer idea for just a few screens, submit it anyway! It might be worked into something else and you'd still be credited.

- Though the devkit contains more, you can only use enemies and obstacles found on this sheet.

- Levels must be able to be completed without taking damage! Doesn't have to be easy, but it does have to be possible.

- Levels must be able to be cleared without requiring weapons, though by all means plan areas around clever use of them.
Note: the included weapons in the devkit won't be used in Endless; see the Resources for the Endless arsenal.

- Big/small health/weapon capsules can be placed where appropriate, but try to use sparingly. No 1-Ups or E-Tanks here.

- As an aside, your submission may be subject to minor tweaks if accepted, but full credit still goes to you.

- The Resources -
  • (the following were created by SnoruntPyro for her original contest, so some details may not apply)
  • Video Tutorials (Click to View)
  • User Guide (Click to View)

- The Signup & Submission -

If you're interested in participating, just say so here and you'll be sent a PM with all the required materials, easy as that!

To submit your level from the devkit:
- Title your room "(Username) (Level Name/Number)".
- Go to the "File" tab at the top, and click on "Export Resources". Save the file as your username. In the popup that follows, uncheck every checkbox except "Rooms", and hit OK.
- PM the exported file to me and SnoruntPyro and you're good to go!

Feel free to post here with any questions or concerns, and have fun!

Submissions are due April 3rd!

- The Signees -

Devkit Update

Known Devkit Issues
On Using Newly Implemented Enemies

[Image: link-blykasdoor.png] [Image: link5.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 10:53 PM by Blyka.)
01-03-2016 05:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lamda Online
Ace of Spades
Registered

Roll Caskett AwardTempo AwardChiptune AwardPixel Master AwardAce AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorC^2 Super Moderator AwardIris AwardAuto AwardDoc Robot AwardRubber Mega Man Award
RE: MegaMan Endless - Level Design Contest! - OPEN, ends 03/31
I FUCKING KNEW SOMETHING BIGGER WAS PLANNED

Anyway, send 'em on over, I'm rarin' to go two-for-two.

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 05:56 AM by Lamda.)
01-03-2016 05:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
iYamWhatIYam Offline
MrKyurem's Bitch
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
Hey hey, I have a hankering for this! I'd like the devkit, please.

Novice animator and general animation fanatic, Bob Clampett advocate, and generally apathetic towards Mega Man as a character. Amateur chip musician, but that's second priority.
Check out the CartoonCo blog!
01-03-2016 12:12 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Sign me up!!!!!

Round two, FIGHT

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
01-03-2016 01:21 PM
CosmicGem Offline
Chiptune Fanatic [Depressed]
Beta Tester

Revo Remix ContributorUpgrade AwardChiptune Award
I couldn't get my level finished the last contest, so I feel compelled to start this one. Sign me up with that dev kit pls! Also, can I make my own music for my level? I know it isn't required but I feel it makes my level feel more custom.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 01:45 PM by CosmicGem.)
01-03-2016 01:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Stove Guy Offline
ambulatory cooking device
Registered

Sign me up
01-03-2016 02:03 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

(01-03-2016 01:40 PM)CosmicGem Wrote:  I couldn't get my level finished the last contest, so I feel compelled to start this one. Sign me up with that dev kit pls! Also, can I make my own music for my level? I know it isn't required but I feel it makes my level feel more custom.

You're making a six screen level exerpt for an endless attack mode, I'm not sure having your own music can be a thing.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
01-03-2016 02:30 PM
Rhythm Offline
Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya
Co-Admin

Booblight AwardAuto AwardRush AwardBeat AwardTempo AwardAce AwardC^2 Super Moderator AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorDeadchat AwardSaga AwardQuill AwardBnG AwardInafune Award
you know what? I got a few ideas floating around that could be fun to experience. count me in. 6 screens shouldn't be too much of a backbreaker

[Image: 67617b7e1d6Ur.png]
01-03-2016 03:38 PM
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

Wow, six signups already, thanks guys! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

SnoruntPyro will still be handling matters pertaining to the devkit, including handing it out. If you already have it from before I think you can just get started, but I'll let her confirm that.

(01-03-2016 01:40 PM)CosmicGem Wrote:  Also, can I make my own music for my level? I know it isn't required but I feel it makes my level feel more custom.

Yeah sorry, in the spirit of keeping the game authentic 16bit Mega Man the music selection is going to be direct rips from Mega Man 7 or Wily Wars (selectable from the Options). Each level segment will shake up the music though; there won't be just one music track throughout the game.

(01-03-2016 05:50 AM)Lamda Wrote:  I FUCKING KNEW SOMETHING BIGGER WAS PLANNED

Heh, this actually wasn't planned from the beginning; I'd been wondering off and on how to go about doing something like this for about a year when I saw SnoruntPyro's contest, and thankfully she agreed to collaborate. :) It was a go when she mentioned a "super secret thing" and updated with some new enemies and obstacles I provided to get our engines synced up.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 04:56 PM by Blyka.)
01-03-2016 04:54 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman AwardTempo Award
Sorry guys, I had a super busy day so I wasn't able to send the devkits! I'll do that immediately.
02-03-2016 02:21 AM
Lamda Online
Ace of Spades
Registered

Roll Caskett AwardTempo AwardChiptune AwardPixel Master AwardAce AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorC^2 Super Moderator AwardIris AwardAuto AwardDoc Robot AwardRubber Mega Man Award
So I'm confused. Is there a new devkit with the 16-bit versions of things added and the "only use these" list optimized, or are we running off the old one still?

4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
02-03-2016 01:48 PM
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

(02-03-2016 01:48 PM)Lamda Wrote:  So I'm confused. Is there a new devkit with the 16-bit versions of things added and the "only use these" list optimized, or are we running off the old one still?

Running off the old one. The Endless engine (as seen in the weapons video) was finished last year in an older version of Game Maker, so the 8bit devkit is just being used for the creation and submission of level designs. Since Pyro's devkit was based on my engine you should be able to create with confidence that the transition will go smoothly as my core engine didn't change much (if at all) in the 16bit upgrade.

Naturally would have been neater to create in a 16bit environment, but that would have been a lot of work on Pyro's end to convert even just Mega Man's sprites to the 16bit set, so since it's purely visual I figured the 8bit should get the job done.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 04:52 PM by Blyka.)
02-03-2016 04:50 PM
Lamda Online
Ace of Spades
Registered

Yeah, how WOULD the palette system work on 16-bit sprites? Split the outline/shading even further and add in additional palette code for each new color?

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 09:12 PM by Lamda.)
02-03-2016 09:11 PM
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

That's pretty much it. As I chose to go with MM3's engine (no charge shot) I got to skip the outline sprites and merge them with the face, but each shade of blue is its own sprite. That makes six extras per sprite, and six colors per weapon stored to draw them with over the face/outline sprite.

Technically it could have been done easier had I used a single sprite with white and two grays, but that didn't look as nice or accurate so I went ahead with the tedious route. Authenticity for the win. :)

02-03-2016 10:08 PM
Smedis2 Offline
Are video games real?
Registered

Reggae AwardAuto AwardRimmer Award
i didn't get a chance to do anything last time because my version of the devkit was bugged but sure sign me up I guess

i swear i won't try and shove in references to other video games in my level i mean i wouldn't be so silly

CHECK OUT STUFF I MAKE OVER AT
[Image: d03b37145145880c6532998fa3a49c20.png]
Here's my TWITTER
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 12:42 AM by Smedis2.)
03-03-2016 12:15 AM
iYamWhatIYam Offline
MrKyurem's Bitch
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
I haven't gotten my devkit yet... has anybody else got theirs'? I don't know if anyone else is having this issue.

Also, is it okay to make more than one segment, or no?

Novice animator and general animation fanatic, Bob Clampett advocate, and generally apathetic towards Mega Man as a character. Amateur chip musician, but that's second priority.
04-03-2016 11:36 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman AwardTempo Award
(04-03-2016 11:36 PM)iYamWhatIYam Wrote:  I haven't gotten my devkit yet... has anybody else got theirs'? I don't know if anyone else is having this issue.

Also, is it okay to make more than one segment, or no?

We're reusing the devkit from MaGMML, just with Blyka's rules. I already gave you the devkit back for the normal contest.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2016 11:43 PM by SnoruntPyro.)
04-03-2016 11:43 PM
iYamWhatIYam Offline
MrKyurem's Bitch
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
(04-03-2016 11:43 PM)SnoruntPyro Wrote:  We're reusing the devkit from MaGMML, just with Blyka's rules. I already gave you the devkit back for the normal contest.
Ah, okay! That's fine and dandy, thanks for answering that.

04-03-2016 11:56 PM
Blyka Offline
Game Dev
Registered

(04-03-2016 11:36 PM)iYamWhatIYam Wrote:  Also, is it okay to make more than one segment, or no?

Absolutely. The more the merrier.

05-03-2016 02:17 AM
Wkay Offline
Savage
Registered

I'm up for this. Tch, can I make this in a span of 26 days?

[Image: iZwWp.png]
05-03-2016 08:17 AM